Cleveland ROcks! SUNSET TOUR
WHERE YOU'LL GO: This paddle departs from Whiskey Island, one of the few undeveloped green spaces adjacent to downtown Cleveland.
We'll paddle across the Cuyahoga River along the Port of Cleveland, getting a close up view of the big ships that ply the waters of Lake Erie, before heading into Northcoast Harbor for a paddle alongside the historic SS Mather (a retired ore freighter turned shipping museum)and an opportunity to paddle under (yes...that's under!) the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. We'll then paddle out to the West Harbor lighthouse for a close up view of a classic Great Lakes light.
WHAT YOU'LL SEE: A working harbor complete with ore boats, tugs, and other commercial ships; two operational lighthouses and an abandoned Coast Guard station; panoramic views of the Cleveland skyline, and close up views of the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, the Great Lakes Science Center, and Browns Stadium. Wildlife sightings include: great blue heron, cormorants, and ducks.
CONDITIONS TO EXPECT: This paddle remains behind the breakwall, so conditions remain generally flat. However, boat traffic can kick up wakes and chop, especially in the area around the Cuyahoga River.
HOW FAR YOU'LL PADDLE: about 5 nautical miles.
DURATION: 3 hours (approximately 2.5 hours paddling)
WHAT'S INCLUDED: Single sea kayak and equipment (paddle, life-jacket, whistle, spray skirt, and white safety light).
GUIDE : PARTICIPANT RATIO: 1:6
SKILL LEVEL: No experience necessary. This tour is appropriate for beginners who are comfortable on the water and accustomed to moderate exercise.
AGE LIMITS: 14 and over only, please Participants under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
HEIGHT & WEIGHT LIMITS: In order to ensure your comfort and safety, participants should be between 5' and 6'4" tall and 95 lbs to 235 lbs.
NON-DISCRIMINATORY ESSENTIAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA: In order to participate in this program, each participant must satisfy the following essential eligibility criteria:
- Be able to independently participate in all individual skills and activities while also maintaining an appropriate and safe body position.
- Be able to hold their breath while under water and, while in the water wearing a properly fitted lifejacket, be able to independently turn from a face down to a face up position keeping their head above water.
- Be able to effectively communicate with the instructor and other program participants.
- Be able to manage all personal care independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
- Be able to manage all personal mobility independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
Upcoming TOUR DATES
Select a Date to BOOK YOUR SPOT ON THIS TOUR:
LOCATION FOR THIS TOUR
This tour meets in the beach parking lot at Wendy Park on Whiskey Island. Use the map below for exact driving directions our meeting location.
WHAT TO WEAR & BRING
Click here for the low-down on what to wear and bring to this tour.