CLIFFS & COVES
WHERE YOU'LL GO: This paddle departs from the Emerald Necklace Marina on the Rocky River. Starting out in the protected water of the Rocky River, we'll journey out to Lake Erie, and--sea conditions permitting--paddle eastward along the impressive cliffs of the Lakewood coast. Our return trip will offer an opportunity to venture into deeper water for a view of the Cleveland skyline before we paddle back into the sunset.
WHAT YOU'LL SEE: A spectacular river valley with impressive shale and limestone cliffs; riverfront homes (including the Elliot Ness home) and marinas; and a view of the Cleveland skyline. Wildlife sightings include: great blue heron, mallard ducks, wood ducks, cormorants, and seagulls.
CONDITIONS TO EXPECT: While the Rocky River is always calm, Lake Erie is a dynamic body of water, so conditions vary depending on the wind. We will not venture into the Lake if waves are over 2ft., but it may be choppy at times.
HOW FAR YOU'LL PADDLE: about 5 nautical miles.
DURATION: 3 hours (approximately 2.5 hours paddling)
WHAT'S INCLUDED: Single touring kayak and equipment (paddle, life-jacket, whistle, spray skirt, and white safety light).
GUIDE : PARTICIPANT RATIO: 1:6
SKILL LEVEL: No experience necessary. This tour is appropriate for beginners who are comfortable on the water and accustomed to moderate exercise.
AGE LIMITS: 14 and over only, please Participants under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
HEIGHT & WEIGHT LIMITS: In order to ensure your comfort and safety, participants should be between 5' and 6'4" tall and 95 lbs to 245 lbs.
NON-DISCRIMINATORY ESSENTIAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA: In order to participate in this program, each participant must satisfy the following essential eligibility criteria:
- Be able to independently participate in all individual skills and activities while also maintaining an appropriate and safe body position.
- Be able to hold their breath while under water and, while in the water wearing a properly fitted lifejacket, be able to independently turn from a face down to a face up position keeping their head above water.
- Be able to effectively communicate with the instructor and other program participants.
- Be able to manage all personal care independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
- Be able to manage all personal mobility independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
Upcoming TOUR DATES
Select a Date to BOOK YOUR SPOT ON THIS TOUR:
LOCATION FOR THIS TOUR
This tour meets at the 41 North Yak Shack in the Cleveland Metroparks Rocky River Reservation in Lakewood, Ohio. Use the map below to get exact driving directions.
WHAT TO WEAR & BRING
Click here for the low-down on what to wear and bring to this tour.