101: SEA KAYAK ESSENTIALS
This full-day course introduces students to the fundamental knowledge and skills necessary to safely enjoy the sport of sea kayaking in the near shore environment (waves < 1ft; winds
This course is taught according to the standards outlined in the American Canoe Association's Level 2 and Level 3 Coastal Kayak curriculum. Click here for a detailed outline.
Strokes taught and practiced in this course
- Forward; reverse; emergency stopping; low bracing; sweep strokes; pivot turns; draws; edging (i.e., J-leans) for both balance and maneuvering.
Rescue skills typically taught and practiced in this course:
- How to safely enter and exit a kayak from shore; deep water capsizes (i.e., wet exits with a spray skirt); assisted reentry in deep water (e.g., the T rescue and drain); solo reentry in deep water (e.g., scramble reentry; paddlefloat-assisted reentry); rafting for support; contact towing.
- None. Just a willingness to get challenge yourself and get wet!
Instructor: Student Ratio:
14 and over only, please.
Essential Eligibility Criteria:
In order to participate in this course, each participant must satisfy the following essential eligibility criteria:
- Be able to independently participate in all individual skills and activities listed in the course outline while also maintaining an appropriate and safe body position
- Be able to hold their breath while under water and, while in the water wearing a properly fitted life jacket, be able to independently turn from a face down to a face up position keeping their head above water
- Be able to effectively communicate with the instructor and other course participants
- Be able to manage all personal care independently, or with the assistance of a companion
- Be able to manage all personal mobility independently, or with the assistance of a companion
Select a Date to Register for the class
LOCATION FOR THIS COURSE
This course takes place at LaDue Reservoir, located approximately 35 minutes east of Cleveland. Detailed driving instructions will be send to participants after registration.